What’s Wine How it Help:
Wine is a Linux application (Not Emulator) that allow users to Install Windows Apps on Linux. Wine is a Bridge between Linux and Windows. Wine runs Games and Apps which is not available on Linux platform. Wine is a possibility of performing such action on Unix-Like OS (Operating System). The App turn Windows work into Linux to provide you the best, to experience the best.
Wine features on Linux:
The app is not limited to just to run the 32 bit or 64-bit apps and games. It also supports the old version of windows like the DOS programs, Windows 95 and 98. Let’s explore more features of WineHQ below.
- Make use Windows files like different external DLL files etc.
- Rendering and providing UI Graphics Display based on X11.
- DirectX supports for many games and applications.
- Support drivers for including Audio etc.
- Printing services to print anything.
- Stable graphics for tablets devices.
- Networking support is added.
- Now Supports CD writers and other devices like scanners etc.
- Traceable and configurable messages displaying for better troubleshooting.
Things to know before Installing Wine:
There are few things you might need to know before installing WineHQ software on your Linux OS. Let’s explore them below.
- Before installing wineHQ, you have to remove the previous version.
- If there are not installation files, you are ready to install it.
- Make sure to uninstall broken packages the may cause a problem.
- Make sure to update to update OR install the latest version of WineHQ.
- Remember to keep updating the packages to keep the Stable.
How to Install Wine or Winetricks on Linux Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint:
Keep the above tips in mind before go for it. But if you have prepared your OS as of above, then let’s get started with installation process below. What you need is to copy and paste the following commands in Terminal. Press Ctrl+Alt+T to quickly open Terminal and copy paste the following.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install wine1.8 sudo apt-get install winetricks
Important: also to keep in mind that to search for the latest stable software only. Also, do a hunt for ppa for your latest operating system version. For the latest Ubuntu LTS version installation, you may need the following commands via terminal.
sudo apt remove wine* && sudo apt autoremove sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/wine sudo apt update sudo apt install wine-stable sudo apt install winetricks
To install it on the 64-bit operating system of your latest Linux distro version. And get the latest wine 1.8.5 follow the below commands.
wget http://dl.winehq.org/wine/source/1.8.5/wine-1.8.5.tar.bz2 tar xjf wine-1.8.5.tar.bz2 sudo ./configure sudo ./configure --enable-win64 [For 64-bit platform] sudo make && sudo make install
While for the 32-bit installation packages to work better and grab the most recent and stable soft. Follow the below Linux terminal commands to get our task done. The below install package is for i386 architecture.
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel
For the staging branch replacements just write `winehq-devel` with `winehq-staging` in the
Uninstall Remove WineHQ:
To remove the software from your PC or Laptop. The copy-paste or write down the following commands in the Terminal. That’s it.
sudo apt-get purge wine1.8 winetricks sudo apt-get purge wine-stable winetricks [J Fernyhough PPA]
Related Posts you Might Like: